The Face's Greatest Hits

The Face Magazine

Along with the Sony Walkman and the AK47 rifle, The Face has been added to the Design Museum's permanent collection. To celebrate, The Guardian spoke to founder and influential music journalist Nick Logan. Commenting on the launch issue, he says...

I had been advised that 'the Face' was too abstract, and I should have the word monthly in the title, and I knew I could find something more current for a first cover than the Specials. But they embodied everything the magazine aspired to – they had a look, a passion, and great music - so there was never an alternative. In a ­sentimental way too, I owed 2 Tone a debt for the inspiration to pursue the idea. And, as it was my savings at risk, I could call it what I liked - after all, the Face was to be my escape from a career where too often I struggled to ­explain myself to publishers or committees. No focus groups here: I was purely, wholeheartedly, ­following instinct.

More On The Guardian Website »